Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Historical Reviews

A Most Scandalous ProposalA Most Scandalous Proposal by Ashlyn Macnamara
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was the epitomy of Historical Romance. The scandal, the love, bravery and bravado. There was no down point to this book. I enjoyed the whole thing. The slightest touch of intimacy heats this story up just right. I look forward to more from this author.

Julia and Sophia are sisters, whom continue to turn down proposals from potential suitors.

But, one scandal after another has the girls pinned to men they don't feel they can marry. Can Benedict and Highgate help these woman see they are a perfect match for them?






Blood Between Queens (Thornleigh, #5)Blood Between Queens by Barbara Kyle
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I understand that this is a historical fiction, but this book felt like I was back in high school history. There are so many parts that read like a text book. It is boring and drawn out. It's a highly over priced Ebook. All in all, this is just not worth the money being asked, and not worth wasting hours as it drones on and on.








Child of the Mist (These Highland Hills, #1)Child of the Mist by Kathleen Morgan
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

It was refreshing to read a historical romance outside or England. I see a lot of bad reviews that say there's not enough history. What they seem to forget is this isn't a history book its a Romance. I did appreciate the story and the different plot. The only reason I'm giving it only 3 stars is because I feel 1) it was too drawn out. 2) the dialogue. If I hear och one more time I'll freak. I understand you're setting a scene. But find new words. 3) felt the ending was too rushed. Would have liked to see more development there.
Basically, I wish it was the same length, but with more action or love, not the constant inner dialogue that slows down a book.





Hero of My Heart: A Loveswept Historical RomanceHero of My Heart: A Loveswept Historical Romance by Megan Frampton
My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Mary is sold by her half brother in a bar. Drunk, drugged Alasdair buys her and decides he wants to save her. The emotional journey is fantastic. Ups and downs, I was laughing and crying. It must be a good book when I actually cry. But, it's not worth more than 3 stars as it stands.

I love Historical Romances. This is a great story line and it's not like all the other Historicals. I loved it. The reason it's 3 stars is because it's repetitive. There are so many parts that just over and over say the same thing in the same way. It became annoying. There should be more content editing here. With that, this would be a 4 or 5 star book. The character development is phenomenal. Both Alasdair and Mary are so likable and real. You can relate to them, their pain and anguish. That's the only thing that redeemed the book from 2 stars.





  Midnight Marriage (Roxton Series #2)Midnight Marriage by Lucinda Brant
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Ok, with the negative first: There's some editing work that needs to be done here. Words that weren't needed or missing punctuation. Run on sentences.
Now, the good: This was a cute little romance. It was refreshing to read a love story that didn't involve dirty sex scenes or gaudy words. It was a delightful little story. There's suspense, tears, and laughs.





One More Kiss (Pennistan, #5)One More Kiss by Mary Blayney
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Those of you who know me, know what a Historical Romance fan I am. So first off I want to thank Mary Blayney and Random House Publishing for this ARC of One More Kiss.

Beatrice Brent, an educated, ever curious woman, about to break out into the "ton". Her father has ambitions that she and her twin sister advance in life, and in London society. They attend a house party, where they will be able to practice getting on in society, under the training of the Countess. Beatrice is too advanced for this time period. Educated women "blue-stockings" were frowned upon. But, in come Lord Jessup Penniston. A rake, gambler, and involved in a divorce. Not his, but still taboo. How can he be so attracted to an annoyingly smart woman?

The beginning of this book starts out very slow. I felt things were dragged out a bit. The characters are all very well developed and as you get to know them, you feel like you're part of their little group. About halfway through the book, it picks up. More excitement, scandal, and even murder! I really did enjoy this book. Please don't think that the slow beginning will ruin it for you! Stick with it, because this story was well worth it, and now I feel I have to go find the other books in this series to read as well!

As it being an ARC, there are some editing issues. But, Random House has the best editing staff I've seen. So I'm sure by it's release date in April, that will be fixed. I hope you enjoy this book as much as I have.





The Reluctant CountessThe Reluctant Countess by Wendy Vella
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book is a sweet little historical romance. I sort of feel that what was meant to be climactic fell short. The whole book is descriptive and thorough, but then the end is feeling rushed. I would love to see it developed more. There really was no good love scene. What did happen was very rushed. Wham bam no thank you. The cover is misleading. It had me expecting a hot story. The supposed sex scenes were just ho hum on the steam scale. All it's still a good historical read. Better than the last few I have read. I think it would be a great introduction to the genre of historical romance.





 The Devil's Thief (The Saint’s Devils, #1)The Devil's Thief by Samantha Kane
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Wow! That is the best word I have to describe this book! I am a huge fan of Historical Romances, and this one just blew every single other one I have read, out of the water. This book has an great story to tell. It's not your average "Damsel in Distress" love story. There's an actual plot. There's drama and love and much more. I caught myself smiling, and wanting to cry and really excited!! The love scenes are steamy, to say the least. Samantha Kane has an amazing way with words. I can't wait to read more by her.





 The PromiseThe Promise by Kate Worth
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I'm not sure how I feel about this. It was an enjoyable plot, but the writing was bad. The author is so long winded and repetitive about things throughout the whole story, but then the ending is rushed. I really think there should be some content editing done. Take some out, put some in. It should take me a week to read your book because I have to "force" myself. I love historical romances, but can't love this one. Seriously, get some editing done, and I'll re-read it, because I did enjoy the concept of the story, but as it is, I would not recommend it to anyone.




 The Scoundrel Takes a Bride (Regency Rogues, #5)The Scoundrel Takes a Bride by Stefanie Sloane
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

The synopsis of this book makes you think you're about to read a steamy, hot, passionate book. I love Historical Romances, but this one completely falls flat. The story line is dull, and in no way is it steamy and hot. The characters are either not well developed, or just can't be related to. If a book can't pique your interest within the first 5-10%, what's the point? The reader feels they have to trudge through it to get anything out of it! Just not worth the $7.99 they are asking for!






With this KissWith this Kiss by Victoria Lynne
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The author has a way with words. She knows how to set a scene. I could see it all in my head, every little detail. It was a wonderful story line, and great plot. The characters are very enjoyable. I find that it's not just a simple typical historical. My negative feelings though are there's a lot of senseless filler that just bored me. I found myself skipping pages ahead at a time. Also, the formatting on the kindle version is in dire need of work. Font size gets bigger and smaller in areas. The spacing is off. Fix this, and it would have been more enjoyable to read. All in all though, it's a good story.




 Wyoming Bride: A Bitter Creek NovelWyoming Bride: A Bitter Creek Novel by Joan Johnston
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

As far as historical or western romances go, this one was dead on. I thoroughly enjoyed the plot, the characters, all of it! Granted, some times it was a little repetitive. The thoughts, arguments, could have been changed up a bit, but it doesn't pull away from the story. It falls right in line with the time period and how things were. I felt the characters were well developed, and likable.

A true love story, man meets woman, wants to use her. Woman meets man, wants to use him. Bam, they fall in love, but don't want to admit it to each other. I enjoy plots like this. It means you're in for some drama, and some teary scenes. The passion in this book was semi-sizzling, but well worth the read! Very good book!





No comments:

Post a Comment