Thursday, June 19, 2014

The Bastard Child

The Bastard Child by Susan Parker Rosen



Take the exciting journey, along with Sara, as she embarks upon a surprise visit to the storybook town of Bridgnorth, UK. She travels initially to research handed down mysterious stories, that includes a secret wealthy ancestor from the Victorian Age and an unwed ancestor that was missing! As Sara struggles with old ghosts from her family tree, you will become intrigued as the author allows readers to unveil some of those heartbreaking answers from the past, including the horrors of the Magdalene Laundries. Follow Sara's hopes and dreams as she falls in love with a man who engulfs her and presents her with a new life in the UK. Hold on to your seat as you are about to take a roller coaster ride along with Sara in the action packed twisted ending. 

NOW UPDATED!! 


The Bastard ChildThe Bastard Child by Susan Parker Rosen
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Though the copy I received says Updated, there are still quite a few errors in this book. Quite a few times, the story moves from 1st to 3rd person, in the same sentence. The writing was very repetitive. For example: After retrieving a cup of half decaf and half cinnamon spice coffee with spiced creamer, she took the hot cup and held the steaming cup in her hands.

Or: Bessie really had to watch the boys, from her block, as they always hand an interest in chasing Bessie down the cobblestone streets.
The sentences were oddly written. I could have went with it, but it just didn't feel right.

On top of it, it so slow moving that I felt trapped and wanted out. It was very hard to force myself through this book. Though it seemed exciting when I read the blurb, I just didn't find it that interesting. I think that trimmed down, this could have been much more enjoyable. There are a lot of details that aren't necessary, as in full describing crossing a room or an action. As if the author was trying to up their word count more than have a smooth story.


The author obviously did a lot of research on ancestory. Great, I loved seeing the process of our heroine trying to track down family for her dad. One of the things that bugged me was that I couldn't quite pin down the age. The character in 2001 speaks of growing up in the 50's, which would make her middle aged. But at times, she acted younger and it threw me off.


I feel that this could be a great drama, mystery, if there was some trimming and content editing done. It has a lot of potential. I think for a first book, it's not horrible. There's something there, the author just needs to refine their writing.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment